Branch Guidelines for Archiving:
This page was assembled for Comhaltas branches but is applicable
to any organization.
1. Every branch should record its musical events, including:
- 1.1 ceilis
- 1.2 organized concerts
- 1.3 workshops where teachers are lecturing and playing
- 1.4 performance events where admission is charged and a sound system is
Note: You may require high profile teachers/lecturers to sign a release form,
to assure them that your recording will be used for archival purposes only.
but NOT including:
- 1.5 sessions
- 1.6 workshops where teachers are sharing with individual students
- 1.7 playing of workshop students
2. Every branch will need:
- 2.1 some recording equipment, such as a cassette deck with cables to connect
to a sound board
- 2.2 tapes and volunteers to make the tapes
3. Each branch should keep a log book of everything it records for the archive,
- 3.1 tape number and date
- 3.2 branch and event identification
- 3.3 tape side
- 3.4 musicians and/or speakers
- 3.5 list of tunes (songs, stories, etc.) played and tape meter number.
- If the band has a written set list, get a copy before the event.
- Musicians can never remember what they played, or in what order, after an
- Officers and members
- Flyers, posters
- Other publicity, such as newspaper articles
- Hall of Fame honorees
Ted McGraw & Trish Callaghan, 2/6/02